#1 2016-09-27 19:22:29

baxterlow
Owner

Fridges

Hi guys,

New to this whole forum thing so please be patient if I get something wrong.

We picked up our new Onyx a couple of weeks ago from Ben at the Pioneer Brisbane workshop.  Gee, he was so professional and an absolute pleasure to deal with.  We managed to take it for a (soft) week away to Elliott Heads the following week and were more than happy with no initial teething problems to speak of.

Just putting the feelers out there regarding fridges and would like to get some idea on what other owners are using.  We've got our old (old, old, old) Waeco CF80 in there at the moment, and while it's never let us down we're interested in trying one of the newer style fridge freezer combos that actually have temp settings for both compartments rather than just relying on thermal transfer between the zones.

Keen to hear some feedback.

I've got a few other questions I'd love to pick everyone's brains about too but will leave them for another post. 

Cheers

#2 2016-09-27 20:38:37

RobynJohnson
Owner

Re: Fridges

Hi Baxterlow
we also have an Onyx, we bought an Engel MT60F-G4-P that fits in the fridge drawer easily (including its cover). This model is fridge or freezer (but not dual zone) Engel have other models that are dual zone but not sure on their dimensions, but the Onyx fridge drawer is quite big so there should be plenty of options out there. Just always remember to allow for the cover.

Last edited by RobynJohnson (2016-09-27 20:38:56)

Happy Travels!
Mark & Robyn Johnson

#3 2016-09-28 09:29:16

scottforbes
Administrator

Hi Baxterlow

If you are after a fridge freezer with separate thermostat controls of around the same capacity of your cf 80, then the new cfx 95 is going to be pretty hard to go past. Excellent power consumption, seacomp compressor ( which is the old danfoss) same as what the cf 80 has, and also separate lids. Which means you're not constantly letting the cold air out of freezer compartment every time you open the fridge lid, which in turn means less compressor cycle and longer run time from the battery system.  Best part is, once you have finished with the frozen food, you can drop the temperature back to fridge levels and you have yourself a 95 litre fridge.

If you do decide to go this way, buy at a camping show.  You will save yourself close to $500 and depending on your negotiating skills, probably score yourself a free cover also

#4 2016-09-28 09:57:54

JAM
Owner

HI Baxterlow

I brought a new Gascoyne back in June this year and went straight to the local camping shop to see if the new cfx 95 waeco would fit or not and yes it does, fits perfectly, love it, it works good. here's a pic of it. I also changed the lids around so that it opens from the other side, so it opens from the pantry side, not like in the pic.

IMG_1476.jpg

Last edited by JAM (2016-09-28 10:06:33)

#5 2016-09-28 22:26:16

baxterlow
Owner

JAM wrote:

HI Baxterlow

I brought a new Gascoyne back in June this year and went straight to the local camping shop to see if the new cfx 95 waeco would fit or not and yes it does, fits perfectly, love it, it works good. here's a pic of it. I also changed the lids around so that it opens from the other side, so it opens from the pantry side, not like in the pic.

https://s12.postimg.org/laqh42r2h/IMG_1476.jpg

Thanks JAM.  The picture tells a thousand words.  We've had our eye on the CFX95. We measured it in the shop and new it would fit but I wasn't sure whether the rear lid door had enough room to open. Looks like it does and we're pretty excited about that.  I'm sure it'll be more efficient than our old 80lt.

Regards
Baxterlow

#6 2016-09-30 01:15:25

JAM
Owner

Hi Baxterlow, yes the rear lid does open fine, heaps of room. I bolted the fridge down with m6 bolts I think it was, and I used a curly stretchy cord behind the fridge back to the socket so that it wouldn't get in the way, so when I pull the fridge out the cored stretches out and then goes back when i push the fridge back in, I also changed the cig socket to a ingle socket and got the correct socket end to fit it because it screws in, so it won't pull out. if you want to see what else I've done have a look at Lighting by JAM and Storage Boxes by JAM.

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

Last edited by JAM (2016-09-30 01:33:04)

#7 2016-09-30 17:14:40

baxterlow
Owner

JAM wrote:

Hi Baxterlow, yes the rear lid does open fine, heaps of room. I bolted the fridge down with m6 bolts I think it was, and I used a curly stretchy cord behind the fridge back to the socket so that it wouldn't get in the way, so when I pull the fridge out the cored stretches out and then goes back when i push the fridge back in, I also changed the cig socket to a ingle socket and got the correct socket end to fit it because it screws in, so it won't pull out. if you want to see what else I've done have a look at Lighting by JAM and Storage Boxes by JAM.

https://s18.postimg.org/7x0i99bqd/IMG_1487.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/txgupvued/IMG_1498.jpg

That's great JAM.  I love the idea of the cord for the fridge and the socket arrangement.  That has solved a problem for me.  We found the fridge slide was a two person operation, trying to keep the lead from being run over by the drawer.  I actually found on our first trip that we got to camp and the cigarette lighter plug had wiggled loose and the fridge had lost power.  Dunno when along the way it happened but you could easily get somewhere after a long drive and find your fridge had warmed up a bit if it happened and you didn't realise. I've never really liked the cigarette sockets anyway.  I saw your posts about lighting and the dividing walls....very good.  The dividing walls are such an easy fix for a potentially major issue.  It's funny they're not a standard item on such a well thought out camper.
Regards

#8 2016-10-01 08:56:36

Ziggy
Owner

IME cig plugs will fail sooner or later; sooner on rough roads.  Among the generic connectors, Merits are a better option, Andersons better still.

Cheers,
Ziggy

#9 2017-11-20 07:57:17

baxterlow
Owner

Hi JAM, I know this is an old topic but we've recently bought the new fridge. You say that you fixed the fridge down with bolts? Did you drill through the bottom of the cabinet and bolt all the way through or am I missing something that's built into the design of the fridge?

Cheers

JAM wrote:

https://s18.postimg.org/7x0i99bqd/IMG_1487.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/txgupvued/IMG_1498.jpg

#10 2017-11-20 23:32:16

JAM
Owner

Hi baxterlow, The fridge comes with holes in the bottom of it with threads in the holes for m6 bolts, I used a bit of cardboard to put onto the bottom of the fridge to mark where the holes are and then carefully transferred that to the fridge slide and marked the slide and then drilled the holes into the fridge slide, be careful to get it right, then you can put the bolts throw from under neath the slide and bolt the fridge to the slide, just make sure you get the fridge in the right spot, also I used cup head bolts so that they don't stick out to far, because there isn't much room under the slide.

Regards

jam

Board footer