#1 03-07-2017 20:41:14

TheVees
Owner

New Mitchell owner Perth

Hi all, my wife and I just took delivery of a new Mitchell.  We currently live in Perth and plan to retire June next year.  Lots of mods to get started on and look forward to picking people's brains and contributing where possible.

Cheers

Neil & Carol

#2 06-07-2017 12:50:34

TheVees
Owner

Re: New Mitchell owner Perth

Thanks, outbackbob&donny.  Haven't had a chance to get away yet.  Hoping to go somewhere close next week for a night or two.  Busy lining the kitchen and pantry boxes at the moment and trying to work out where everything is going to go.  Hope you have a great trip smile.

#3 03-02-2018 11:22:41

Coota
Owner

Hi Neil and Carol, I know its long time since you posted, however I am interested in how the Mitchell is going and trading thoughts on what is working and what needs tweaking. Regards Greg & Carol

#4 25-02-2018 16:28:30

TheVees
Owner

Hi Greg and Carol.  Sorry to take so long to reply, I haven't checked this forum for a while.

Loving the Mitchell so far.  We've had 22 nights in it, mainly 2 or 3 night trips with one 5 nighter over the Xmas break.  Getting it set up for when we retire at the end of June.

We've had 2 issues that we've had to get fixed so far.  We had a leak in the skylight when we first got it that has been fixed satisfactorily.  The trip after we had it fixed, it bucketed down so we are confident that it is all OK.  The other was the catch on the slide out stove letting go.  We were out in the Wheat belt doing a 3 night trip when it happened and we were able to contact Jim at Pioneer in Perth and called in on the way home.  He had it re welded in no time and have to say, the service we have had from Jim & Lynda at Pioneer in Wangara has been outstanding.

Happy to give our thoughts on what is working and what needs tweaking.

We had issues with the bolts on the feet for the foldout floor.  We never seemed to be able to the near ones tight enough and the shaft would slip and the floor would move when you stepped on it after a time.  I made up a small handle to assist with tightening but ended up over tightening (of course) and the black plastic handle going round and round to no effect.  We replaced the hand tightening bolts on the near side with stainless bolts and we keep a 13mm ring spanner handy and that seems to be working well.  The far ones are ok at this stage but we have a couple more bolts just in case.

We got both the quick and main awnings and have used both on occasions.  We have found that because the main awning sits above the top of the camper it can cop a bit of a hiding if the wind gets up.  Don't know that there is anything that can be done about it other than keeping a close eye on it if it gets windy.   We've mainly used the quick awning and we're exploring ideas for getting something over the door area as well.

The gas set up is a pain as per your other post.  Wouldn't be surprised to see some permanent piping in later models to get the gas line closer to the stove for an easier connection and possibly linking the bottles together as you said. 

We've been getting a bit of a plastic taste with the water, do you get that?  I've had a pretty good look and the only place I can find where the waterline is not covered is at the water pump.  I've bought some split tubing and it's on the list of things to do to get it covered which hopefully will sort it.

Loving the amount of storage.  We got the larger pantry box and it's amazing what can fit in there.  Also got the draw under the bed and it's huge.  The front storage box is only about 75% full and I'm pretty sure that we've got everything in there that we need.

Done a fair bit of work with lighting and also put USB & 12v sockets at the head of the bed.  They are proving very useful. 

Hope this has been helpful.  Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers

Neil & Carol

Last edited by TheVees (27-02-2018 03:48:23)

#5 21-05-2018 20:49:57

Coota
Owner

Hi Neil and Carol, apologies on the delayed response, you know life gets in the way.

We have had the Mitchell for 11 months and love the camper.

That said we have had a few problems. During pickup and handover one of the hoses came lose and flooded the kitchen drawer, embarrassing, Scott asked if we could come back in a few days. That sorted all looked good and we took of on a trip to outback Queensland (I know not the best plan for a shakedown cruise but circumstances meant that pickup was delayed more our fault then Pioneer). So somewhere on the plain between White Cliffs and Tibooburra I thought a hot shower would be nice, hot water started to flow then stopped. Long story but I tried everything and finally called Pioneer and they sent me a new water pump. Didn't fix the problem but after an extend stopover at Quilpie and a couple of chats with Peter in the Mitchel build team we worked out that they had installed the one way valve on the hot water back the front. Simple job to reverse and all fixed. The rest of the trip was a breeze.

Some other issues fixed on our first service including a leak from the sun roof, some water and dust ingress in the kitchen and pantry draw. The major issues raised Pioneer were quick to respond and fix included the Rhino Skin peeling off the gas bottle covers (replaced both and we have no further issues). A Battery Dry Cell warning developed when I placed the Camper into storage. The Dry Cell issue was eventually fixed by Redarc replacing the Battery Management system, both Pioneer and Redarc were very good with follow-up especially Penny as the service lead.

We had a bit of a nightmare on the first trip however if we had done a couple of weekend shakedown trips it would not have been such a drama. Pioneer were great even shipping a new water pump to us in Birdsville, if we had been more circumspect we could have resolved most issue with Pioneer before taking off for a month. Lesson learned sigh..

#6 22-05-2018 14:23:04

Coota
Owner

Just a couple of thoughts based on your feedback:

1. We have also had trouble with the adjustable feet on the fold out hard floor. They just keep slipping and floor becomes uneven. It is a poor design so may have to come up with an alternative in the long run. I suggest to Pioneer that they might crimp grooves in one side of the foot pole and the bolt might hold better. I have a mate who is a mechanical engineer, he is going to look at what we can do, will publish the results.

2. The plastic taste in the water likely "springs" from the hose you are using. I flushed the original tank of water Pioneer used to test. I have food grade hose I use to fill the tank and also use a B.E.S.T. inline filter. Nothing goes in the tank unless it is filtered. We have had no trouble with the water quality and taste.

3. Like you we generally use the quick awning for short stays, however the main awning is awesome for longer stays and really bad weather. We have replaced the steel poles with Aluminium ones from Superpeg to reduce the weight (10kg). Also Pioneer sell a storm cover for the main awning that zips on the back of the raised section and extends over the top on the foldout tent. This anchors over the drivers side of the tent and would definitely solve the wind exposure issue. We don't have one but Carol is going the make one up out of lighter ripstop canvas.

4. We originally had the small pantry but paid for an upgrade when got back from our second trip. The extra storage has made a huge difference.

I have not done anything with the lighting yet.

Best Regards, Greg and Carol

#7 22-05-2018 20:49:16

TheVees
Owner

The water taste has come I think from the local water here.  At times when having a drink from the tap at home I am getting exactly the same taste.  The last time we went away, I filled the tank through a BEST filter and there was no taste at all.  Problem solved i think !

The bolts that we have been using on the feet are working well have stopped the floor from moving so that's another problem solved. 

We have one of the storm covers, or "bra" as our local Pioneer agent called it.  We've only used it the once and that was in pretty high winds.  We found where the strap attached on the non awning side rubbed on the roof enough to take the paint off.  Haven't used it since but will probably put a piece of rubber there to stop it getting worse.

Have had no problem at all so far with any dust getting in.  we've been down some pretty dusty roads since we've had it so I think we're fine there. 

The front panels also lost some Rhino coating and they have been re coated and have to say it looks so much thicker than the original.  Have bought a stone stomper a swell, so I think that will stop and further wear there.

We're getting close to taking off on our big trip so hopefully all the bugs are ironed out now.

Cheers

Neil

#8 22-05-2018 22:35:28

Coota
Owner

Hi Neil, do you recommend the "bra" we intend to make one if so will heed the warning on the strap rubbing.

We also had some rubbing. During the handover presentation we ask Melanie if the stabilising pole inside the tent needed to be removed. We were told not to bother. Wrong, leaving it in wore a couple of small holes in the canvas as it rubbed against the fibreglass cover. Tiny holes so no big deal Australian Canvas patched them for me.

Let me know how the stone stompers go as I have had mixed reviews, I am told they fill up with stones, but so does everything else. 

Envious you are going soon we have been delayed till next year the gone for 2+ years looking around. Cheers Greg

#9 25-05-2018 21:58:45

TheVees
Owner

Hi Greg, we've only used the "bra" the once so a bit early to tell to be honest.  It does look like it does what it is designed to do though.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to get the stone stomper mounted next week.  Probably won't be able to try it out until we leave.  That's fast approaching, at this stage our departure date is tentatively set for July 18 but that could move forward a couple of days if all goes to plan.

I've started a blog to record our travels, which at this stage will be for 18 months or so.  https://destinationpotatopoint.blogspot.com.au/    Not much on there so far but feel free to check it out.

Cheers

Neil

#10 26-05-2018 11:21:50

Coota
Owner

Thanks Neil and Carol, checked out the blog, happy trails.  Also checked out Potato Point, we used to holiday at the Tuross Heads caravan park when the kids were young. South Coast NSW, a lovely part of the world. Cheers Greg and Carol

Board footer