#1 12-03-2019 08:59:55

Ziggy
Owner

Lubrication

We have an Argyle SE and have done a bunch of outback trips with it.

Fine outback dust, aka bulldust, is a problem.  It floats in the air and builds up on anything sticky like grease.

To take one example ... if you use a DO35 hitch, the factory advice provided with the unit is to smear grease on the plastic mating surfaces.  But the dust sticks to it and you get an abrasive compound. 

We tried dry lubes like silicone and PTFE but they don't form enough of a protective film.

Vehicle Components suggested we try White Lithium grease and this works much better.  It's less sticky and still holds a film.  You can get spray cans at Bunnings.

It also works better than anything else on the floor's piano hinge.  Take the time to squirt a little into each gap on the top side.  Renew it if you've used the pressure blaster at the car wash. 

The other problem is the hatch locks.

A little dry lock spray helps but not when you've got a build up of dust inside.  That particularly happens on the rear hatch.  In time those locks will jam up. The only response is to remove and wash them out.  The best option is prevention and to tape them over - the whole assembly.

One last tip.
In time your hand pump will stop working.  If it's the rubber plunger no longer sealing you may be able to fix it with a smear of food-grade white grease.  Inox make some in a small tube.

Please reply if you find these tips of any use.  I've no interest in talking in an echo chamber ;-)

Cheers,
Ziggy

#2 13-03-2019 16:12:26

JAM
Owner

Re: Lubrication

Thanks for that, good idea's.
My rear hatch locks don't turn all the way around anymore, so will have to clean them.

Last edited by JAM (13-03-2019 16:42:37)

#3 16-03-2019 14:28:37

rreed821
Owner

I 'll try the White Lithium on the piano hinge.  Locks have always been a known issue and I'm surprised they didn't change them.  And the issue is not just Pioneer, everyone has the issue.  A different lock with a cap cold have done the trick.  I use aerosol brake cleaner to spray the locks.  Comes with a hard little tube which you can insert into the locks.  Has the pressure to blow out the dust, dries quickly and isn't greasy - think dirty brakes and how clean they come up.   I purchased some rare earth magnets to sit on top of the lock but unfortunately the locks are not ferrous enough and the magnets didn't hold.  Most unfortunate !  I now use them to attach LED light bars to the canvas - most bars are aluminium but just stick a ferrous washer on them and the magnets hold through the canvas.

#4 16-03-2019 17:51:50

Ziggy
Owner

Thanks for the brake cleaner tip.  Will give it a go.

Cheers,
Ziggy

Board footer